14 February 2012

valentines day

Love is a game that two can play and both win


unnecessary "gratitude" from brandon 


dark chocolate from student 


I thought Valentine's day was just huge in America and boy was I wrong! There is Valentine's day written all over Korea!  The past few days there has been chocolate and red everywhere, including the occasional bear here and there.  
More importantly though is the month after Valentine's day here!  There is a "White Day" which is the March 14th when men purchase candy instead of chocolate for their girlfriends and wives.  So apparently V-Day here is a day when just the women buy chocolate for their guys!  
And for the singles, March 14th is considered "Black Day" for those which makes sense -- I guess .. 
So White Day started in Japan for some reason and naturally has made its way over to Korea!  Well I got a lot of sweets from my girl students today, so maybe I will get some from my boy students in a month!  =)  Now wouldn't that be nice? 
HOW WAS VALENTINE'S DAY IN AMERICA?  
Being in Korea has made me forget about a lot of important things in my life that I never appreciated, meaning I took for granted (Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years, Super Bowl, basketball games, and ... Valentine's Day [not a bad thing to lay to rest]).  
That last picture is of five pieces of candy made from scratch from a Masters student named Jane, how sweet and thoughtful of her!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment