25 July 2011

confusion or ..

Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious...
bit of hwaseong fortress 

an entrance to hwaseong 

  this weekend i went to hwaseong fortress in suwon and only spent an hour there but it was a very relaxing hour.  The castle/fortress place is a big wall surrounding the center of the city of Suwon.  It was built in the 1700s by King Jeongjo in honor of his father Prince Sado.  The father was murdered by his own father by being locked alive inside of a rice chest because he disobeyed him by failing to commit suicide alone.  This fortress is now considered a World Heritage site by UNESCO, which I believe makes it a bit cooler if that's possible.
  I dont know if anybody has ever watched an old-time Korean drama but if they have, then they have seen a scene where "bad people" are punished to death and all I could think about at the fortress was: am i standing on a part of land where somebody was killed?  This place really put my mind at ease, even when thinking about the people who were beaten by the King's servants.  It was really cool to see the room of the King with his bed and gold painting/plating around the wood and head of it.
  Now, I just need to go back early in the day and spend the entire day there so I can actually see everything!  Can't wait ..

One of the little bedrooms at the fortress 

No comments:

Post a Comment